Joint Advanced Post Graduate Diploma in Psychodrama between Indian Institute of Psychodrama (IIP) and Banyan Academy of Leadership in Mental Health (BALM) of Tata Institute of Social Sciences(TISS)
About Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS)
About The Banyan Academy of Leadership in Mental Health (BALM)
The Banyan Academy of Leadership in Mental Health (BALM) was established in 2007 with a vision to build pillars of research, education, training, and advocacy to influence policy change, and augment stakeholder collaborations in mental health and social sectors. Over the years, the Banyan Academy has steadily impacted upon the aforementioned areas to make noticeable changes in relevant sectors especially in voicing the needs of the quietly surviving excluded populations living at the fringes.
Five years since its inception, the Tata Institute of Social Sciences-Banyan Academy of Leadership in Mental Health (TISS-BALM) collaboration has contributed to the pedagogical depth and visible ground-level impact. Innovation is the cornerstone of The Banyan, The Banyan Academy, and TISS which are constantly reinventing themselves to best serve the larger community, by building the most well-equipped, democratic, and ethical leaders of tomorrow. TISS brings decades of experience to academia from a humanitarian perspective and continues to reframe social science education to suit the current and emerging needs of the developing sector. Their practical ethos synergizes with us, with whom there is mutual learning, and a resolve to make a difference.
About Indian Institute of Psychodrama (IIP)
The IIP is the first formal institute teaching Psychodrama in the country. This institute is an affiliate member of the International Association of Group Psychotherapy and Group Process (IAGP). The founder and director, Magdalene Jeyarathnam is an elected member of the governing board of IAGP. IIP will enable those interested in Psychodrama to receive training, certification to practice skills under supervision and to gain experience applying these methods in clinical or non clinical settings. This institute has been awarding students training hours for attending psychodrama workshops since 2009. Also, this institute provides three levels of Psychodrama training on par with other international organisations.
What is Psychodrama ?
Psychodrama is essentially a group action method that helps a person to embrace one’s own capabilities. This could be used in clinical setting (hospitals, therapy centers), non-clinical setting like a business establishment in team building, conflict management, stress management, identifying and working with stress, improving communication, building trust, identifying issues etc. This is a spontaneous and creative method which is used by certified psychodramatists who is otherwise called the Psychodrama director. A director enables or facilitates a re-enactment of real life situations, past incidents / situations or an inner mental process but, acting them out in the present time.
The basic concepts of psychodrama are:
- The warm-up, preparing for an act
- Spontaneity and creativity
- The encounter
- Concretization and acting out
- The mirror
- The double
- Sensitivity training
- Role playing and role reversal
- Surplus reality
PG Diploma in Psychodrama Course
Some important Course Requirement is as follows:
- The course is taught in English, students applying have to understand, read and speak English fairly well, if not the student needs to let us know how she/ he plans to write assignments etc.
- 100% Class attendance. Students who have missed modules from March 2020 until July 2021 need not pay additional fees for resuming this diploma course due to COVID situation. However, all students will have to finish this course before 36 months of beginning the programme.
- Students who have not paid full fees (₹1,25,000 per Year) and who have missed two modules will not be allowed to join until their full fees is paid. Students have to pay their full fees before the third module to avoid being removed from the student roll. Failing which they will have to be readmitted into the diploma programme and start over.
- Completions of all assignments, and project work. All these are graded and the grade will appear on the certificate.
- Students receive one on one supervision either by Skype / zoom / direct meetings with an assigned supervisor
At the end of the course:
Students will receive a Joint PG Diploma certificate from Indian Institute of Psychodrama and Banyan Academy of Leadership in Mental Health (BALM) of Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS).
Course: 38 credits 630 hours
|LEVELS||HOURS / DURATION||CREDITS||ELIGIBILITY|
|Class hours||510 hours
|34||1. Anyone who has completed a Masters in HR/Teaching/Social Work/Psychology/ Psychotherapy can apply. A graduate with 2 years of experience in the humanitarian field.
2.Over the age of 25
|Joint PG Diploma in Psychodrama between Indian Institute of Psychodrama and Tata Institute of Social Sciences|
Learning in psychodrama is not a sequential process. Rather, it is a spiral of experiential learning in which the student explores methodologies and conceptual frameworks in increasing depth and expansion. Through the framework of sequential courses, the following topics will be covered at the introductory, beginning and intermediate levels:
- process of warmup, action & sharing
- sociometry warmups to explore connections & build group cohesion: the spectrogram, barometer, locogram & action sociogram.
- introduction to role theory of personality: role presentations and role interviews.
- Psychodramatic methods: double, role reversal, mirror inaction demonstrations
- spontaneity theory & the Canon of Creativity: action explorations
- introduction to the Personal and Workplace Social Atoms in present, past and future forms; on paper & in action
- introduction to the method of The Empty Chair
- further explorations of Role Theory: 3-part role inventory; multi-role inventory
- Psychodramatic actions:
- short introductory action pieces, including role interview, Psychodramatic photograph, the portal and meeting a famous person
- psychodramas of a significant moment and emotionally significant place
- 2-role interpersonal encounter
- extended role exploration of single or multiple roles
- multi-role and multi-scene psychodramas
- introduction to sociodrama: social roles, topic choices, role encounters and multi-role sociodrama
Batch 3: 2021 – 2022
March 19 to 28 – 2021 (10 days, 65 hours)
March 11 to 20 – 2022 (10 days, 65 hours)
May 7 to 16 – 2021 (10 days, 70 hours) Postponed to November
July 1 to 10 – 2022 (10 days, 60 hours)
July 23 to 1 Aug – 2021 (10 days, 60 hours)
Sept 9 to 18- 2022 (10 days, 60 hours)
Sept 17 to 26 – 2021 (10 days, 60 hours)
Nov 4 to 13 – 2022 (10 days, 70 hours)
November 5 to 14 – 2021 (10 days, 70 hours)
Total course hours = 255
Total course hours = 255
To be completed
To be completed
Students complete 315 hours.
Students complete 315 hours.
Who are the teachers of this course?
- Maurizio Gasseau, PhD (Italy): Jungian psychodramatist, psychotherapist and President of the Mediterranean Association of Psychodrama. Director of the Post graduate school of Group Psychotherapy, University of Ivrea, Italy.
- Dr Jorge Burmiester (Spain/ Switzerland): Psychiatrist, Psychodramatist and Past President of the International Association of Group Psychotherapy and Group Processes (IAGP).
- Eva Fahlström Borg (Sweden): Senior Psychotherapist and Psychodramatist. She does training and supervision in the field of psychotherapy, psychodrama, sociodrama, Bibliodrama, improvised theatre and restorative justice. She is a founding member of the Federation of European Psychodrama training organisations.
- Daniela Simmons, PhD (USA): President of the American Society of Group Psychotherapy and Psychodrama(ASGPP) and certified trainer American Board of Examiners
- Manuela Maciel, PhD (Portugal): Psychodramatist and Coordinator of Psychodrama section in International Association of Group Psychotherapy and Group Processes (IAGP)
- Anath Garber, MA, TEP (USA): Psychodramatist who is trained by J.L. Moreno and Zerka Moreno. Was a faculty at Moreno Institute in New York. Member of Executive council of American Society of Group Psychotherapy and Psychodrama.
- Dr Peter C Howie: Is a past President of ANZPA (www.anzpa.org), also Director of Training at Brisbane Campus of Psychodrama Australia and a regular contributor to several professional journals. Since commencing his training in psychodrama and group work in 1985 in Sydney, Peter has continued designing and running group programs from 1992.
- Magdalene Jeyarathnam, MSW (India): Certified Psychodramatist, Expressive Arts therapist and the first Indian living in India to be on the board of Directors of the International Association of group psychotherapy and group Process (IAGP). She is the founder of the Indian Institute of Psychodrama.
Teachers are certified Psychodramatists, registered and practicing therapists, professors from colleges/ universities from different parts of the world.
How much is the course fee?
For one time payment:
Rs. 1, 25,000 per year
FOR INSTALMENT PAYMENTS: (Only on Request)
|First Instalment||Paid on Registration||Rs. 52,500|
|Second Instalment||Before 30th April 2021||Rs. 52,500|
|Third Instalment||Before 30th June 2021||Rs. 27,500|
(THERE WILL BE A 3 DAYS COMPULSORY RESIDENCIAL WORKSHOP WHICH IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE COURSE FEE)
- A post graduate with 2 years of experience in the humanitarian field.
- Anyone who has completed a Masters in Psychology/ Psychotherapy/H R/ Education/ Social Work. If you are not from a Psychology background you will have to complete 3 courses of 2 credits (one credit is 15 hours) ie, 90 Hours training.
- All candidates must be 25 years before admission for the Diploma Program.
Who will benefit from this course?
Counsellors, Psychologists, Business Trainers, Educators, Theatre Directors, Life skills coach or mentor and Facilitators who work with groups of people in NGOs and other settings
Work and Employment:
- A person trained to be a psychotherapist / counsellor can use Psychodrama in his / her therapy as an addition to their toolkit.
- Those training only in psychodrama can continue further to complete 800 hours of training to become a certified psychodrama therapist.
Men and women are eligible to apply, since most alternate therapy courses have a lot of women candidates, male candidates are encouraged to apply.
How do you apply?
Please check if you are eligible to apply. (Scroll up for eligibility criteria) If in doubt please feel free to call 9884700104/ 9884700135/ 9884700106
Admissions open for 2021- 2022
Please request the application form on our Email ID if you have issues with registration
Fill in your application form and attach relevant documentation and post it with a cheque in favour of “Indian Institute of Psychodrama Pvt Ltd” for Rs 500.
- You will hear from us within a week. If you are admitted into the programme you will have to immediately book your seat by paying the first installment. We have students from different parts of India and abroad applying for this course. Fees once paid is not refundable as we are securing the seat and cannot take any more students.
At the end of the course students will receive:
- A joint Post Graduate Diploma in Psychodrama from Banyan Academy of Leadership in Mental Health (BALM) of Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) and Indian Institute of Psychodrama (IIP) certifying 38 credits with 630 psychodrama hours.
- Students who have completed their Diploma in Psychodrama are eligible to apply for the M.Sc. Counselling Psychology with a specialization in Psychodrama offered by Martin Luther Christian University. The course will continue to be taught in Chennai.
For more information on the Master’s Degree CLICK HERE
Participants can take part in other psychodrama trainings in order to complete 170 hours so that one can be eligible to be a ” CERTIFIED PRACTICIONER”.
Phone: 9884700135 / 9884700104/ 9884700106
Please write to us or call us , if you need further clarification.