Expressive Arts therapy Course : Course Requirement is as follows:
- The course is taught in English, students applying have to understand, read and speak English fairly well, if not the student needs to let us know how she/ he plans to write assignments etc.
- 100% Class attendance
- All students agree to do 40 hours of personal therapy with a therapist of their own choice.
- Completions of all assignments, and project work. All this is graded and the grade will appear on your certificate.
- Students get supervision either by skype / direct meetings with an assigned supervisor
- Students write and pass an ethics examination which is a written exam
Students will receive a Joint diploma certificate from East West Center for Counselling and Training and Women’s Christian College
At the end of the course:
- A certificate from The World Storytelling Institute
- A certificate from Indian Institute of Psychodrama
How do you apply?
- Please check if you are eligible to apply. (Scroll down for eligibility criteria) If in doubt please feel free to call 9884700104/ 9884700135
Please request application form on our
Email id : email@example.com
Fill in your application form and attach relevant documentation and post it with a cheque in favor of “East West Center for Counselling and Trg Pvt Ltd” for Rs 500.
- You will hear from us within a week. If you are admitted into the programme you will have to immediately book your seat by paying the first instalment. Total number of seats is 20. We have students from different parts of India and abroad applying for this course. Fees once paid is not refundable as we are securing the seat and cannot take any more students.
Mid- year Admissions open for Batch 10 (in June 2021)
CALENDER FOR Batch 10 & 11: Dates for classes (100 % attendance)
*No classes on weekends*
Months in 2021 & Dates
March 2021 – 1st (Mon) to 12th (Fri)
June 2021 – 14th (Mon) to 25th (Fri)
August 2021 – 16th (Mon) to 27th (Fri)
December 2021- 6th (Mon) to17th (Fri)
Months in 2022 & Dates
February 2022- 7th (Mon) to 20th (Fri)
April 2022 – 18th (Mon) to 29th (Fri)
July 2022 – 11th (Mon) to 22nd (Fri)
What are the components we cover in this course?
Psychodrama, Art therapy, Dance/ movement therapy, storytelling as therapy, Music therapy, Counselling, and Expressive Arts Therapy.
This is a 14 credits course. You will cover 300 hours class work, 50 hours in assignments, 70 hours on your project, 10 hours of supervision and 40 hours of personal therapy. This is a total of 470 hours.
Who are the teachers of this course?
Teachers are registered and practicing therapists, professors from colleges/ universities from different parts of the world.
Magdalene Jeyarathnam(Course Director) – Expressive Arts Therapist and Certified Psychodramatist
Magdalene has worked for over 25 years as a Psychological Counsellor. She is an Expressive Arts Therapist, and a board certified Psychodramatist. She has worked as a consultant to several governments, the World Health Organisation (WHO), and the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF). She is a member of the International Association of Group Psychotherapy and Group process, and the Moreno Psychodrama Society — which is affiliated to the Australian and Aotearoa (New Zealand) Board of Psychodrama. Ms Magdalene is the Director of the Indian Institute of Psychodrama, which she founded in 2013 after working to bring world class psychodrama trainers to India since 2009. She is also the Director of the East West Center for Counselling and Training (an Expressive Arts Therapy Center based in Chennai, India); and a co-founder of the Expressive Arts Therapy Association of India.
On this program she will teach Expressive Arts Therapy & Psychodrama.
Katia Verreault (Amsterdam) – Group facilitator, dance movement therapist, dance instructor and Founder of A Moving World-We dance
Katia is dance movement therapist, Special Needs teacher trainer, group facilitator and dance instructor with extensive work experience in multi-cultural environments and community settings in the field of specialised education, transcultural psychiatry, trauma, resilience-building and dance movement therapy. Katia’s communication skills and participatory approach enables me to adapt to various clienteles and their needs.
She will teach Dance Movement Therapy in the program.
Dr. Daniela Simmons, PhD, T.E.P
Daniela is the founder and director of the Expressive Therapies Training Institute (ETTi), offering workshops on action methods in North Texas, other states and internationally. Dr. Simmons teaches experiential tools and didactic; preparing the students pursuing certification to take both the written and on-site exams. She has conducted and published various research on action methods. Daniela Simmons’, professional experience, both in Europe and the US, is in educational, research, and consultancy work in the social sciences, applied gerontology and mental health. She has been utilizing action methods sessions since 1995 in Europe and since 2005 in the US. Daniela Simmons is the President of the American Society in Group Psychotherapy and Psychodrama (ASGPP) and executive editor for the American Journal in Psychodrama, Sociometry and Group Psychotherapy.
She will teach Psychodrama, Sociometry & Group Psychotherapy.
Dr. Eric Miller, Ph.D., (U.S.A / India)
Dr. Eric is a scholar, trainer and artist who directs the World Storytelling Institute (www.storytellinginstitute.org) here in Chennai. He has led Storytelling Workshops over the last 7 years for teachers, corporates, therapists, children and others. His Ph.D. is in Folklore, from the University of Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
He will teach Storytelling Therapy
Ms. Roshni Bhatia, Artist and Art Therapist (Bangalore, India)
She is the Co-founder and Creative Director of FoundSpace, a platform for cross-cultural and multidisciplinary collaboration of the arts and mental wellness. Her educational qualifications are an MA in Art Psychotherapy from Lasalle College of the Arts Singapore and a BA in Creative Arts in Contemporary Art Practices from Srishti school of Art, Design, and Technology, Bangalore.
She has presented her arts-based research on Embodiment, complex trauma, and media arts at the ANZACATA Conference in Brisbane, Australia, and was also fully funded to attend and exhibit at the IASD Dream Conference in the Netherlands in 2019. Roshni is interested in expanding the boundaries of therapeutic practices beyond the clinical and integrating new media practices in the field of art therapy.
She will teach Art Therapy in the program.
How much is the course fee?
The total course fee is Rs.1,27,100 (including GST). If your paying in instalments it is Rs.50,000 + GST(18%) in first instalment, Rs.45,000 + GST(18%) in 2nd instalment, Rs.15,000 in 3rd instalment. All fees will be collected by East West Center for Counselling & Training.
Who can apply?
If you are working in an NGO, if you are already working with children – ( special educators, Montessori teachers)or working as a health care professional (doctors, psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists, social workers, counsellors, HR professionals, Corporate Trainers, Life Coaches. This training will enable you to perform your work with more tools. This is Expressive Arts therapy and we expect students who are applying to have some academic knowledge in Psychology or Fine arts*
You should have completed a Master’s degree but if you are graduate it has to be in fine arts, psychology or Social work. If you do not have the necessary educational qualification we will consider your experience if that is relevant. Priests and individuals who are training in priesthood are eligible to join the course without a Psychology degree, but do not have the competence to train others in Expressive Arts Therapy and call themselves a therapist. They are only allowed to practice in their seminary & church.
* Fine arts background or individuals from any other disciplines other than Psychology or social work can pursue Master’s in Psychology parallel to the diploma course, the diploma certificate will be issued only on submission of the Master’s in Psychology completion certificate.
Men and women are eligible to be apply, since most alternate therapy courses have a lot of women candidates, male candidates are encouraged to apply.
Mid-year Registrations open for June (2021)- Batch 10
For Registration CLICK HERE
At the end of the course participants will have a graduation were presentations are made of their project work completed (viva) upon which they receive the following:
- A joint Diploma in Expressive Arts Therapy from Women’s Christian College and East West Center for counselling and training
- Certified psychodrama hours
- Certificate from World Storytelling Institute
- Students who have completed their Diploma in Expressive Arts Therapy are eligible to apply for the M.Sc. Counselling Psychology with a specialization in Expressive Arts Therapy offered by Martin Luther Christian University. The course will continue to be taught in Chennai.
For more information on the Master’s Degree CLICK HERE
All Certificates should be received in person, no certificates will be issued via emails or posts.
Phone: 9884700135 / 9884700104
Please write to us or call us details above, if you need further clarification.